NRA Basic Rifle
August 17 @ 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM EDT
NRA Basic Rifle Shooting Course
This course teaches the basic knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for the safe use of a rifle in target shooting.
This course is at least eight hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot rifles. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; rifle parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest, prone, sitting, standing and kneeling positions; cleaning; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the Basics of Rifle Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Rifle Shooting Student Examination, and receive a course completion certificate.
- Age: Eight (8) years old or older
- Parental or Legal Guardian written consent is required for individuals under 18
- Parent(s) or Legal Guardian can observe the class free of charge
What to Bring
- A hat for sun shade
- Sun screen
- Collared shirt or tee shirt, no loosely fitting open collar blouses
- Sturdy boots or sneakers; no open toe shoes, flip flops or sandals.
- A lawn chair or camping chair for the range.
- Gatorade or other sports drinks for the range; we will be providing ice water only, at the range.
- If you have your own, eye and ear protection designed for shooting sports, please feel free to bring them;
- Eye and ear protection will be provided to each student (provided by LSC) for use for the range time; these have been used for previous students.
- If you would like to purchase brand new eye and ear protection, we offer this to each student for small fee of $5.00; you will get to keep these for your future use.
- Your own rifle (rimfire or small bore preferred) if you own one.
- Your own ammunition for your rifle, at least 250 rounds.
What NOT To Bring
- Your own ammunition or firearm into the classroom
- NOTE: we do not allow any live ammunition or firearms in our classroom due to safety restrictions.
- DO NOT bring a friend or multiple friends or a family member(s) who are NOT registered with the Lakota Safe Company Trading Post as students.
- They will not be allowed in the classroom
- And they will not allowed on the shooting range
- RE: students under age 18, and any individuals with disabilities: parents/legal guardian and/or care taker will be allowed in the classroom and shooting range. Parents, legal guardians and/or care taker will be required to sign our legal waiver.
- If you are a valid Florida Concealed Carry permit holder, we ask that you keep your firearm and ammunition in your vehicle; these same rules apply on the shooting range.
- Absolutely no children will be allowed in the classroom or the shooting range, unless they are registered students with us for this class.
- Range fee of $10 USD for use of the private shooting range is included in your class fee; This fee is paid directly to the landowner where the range operates; your assigned NRA Instructor will take care of payments to the range/landowner.
- If you do not complete the shooting portion of the class, your NRA Rifle certificate will be put in a pending status and another date will be scheduled for you to complete your shooting requirements.
- NRA courses are open to regular instructors, non-instructors, and also for Florida FWC Hunter Safety Instructors, BSA, GSA 4-H, FAA, and other Youth Program adult volunteers;
- Discounted price of $95.00 is only available to adult volunteers (ID required) – use discount code “Volunteer2019” when paying online;
- Seats are available for non-adult volunteers, at a cost of $125.00 (normally $150.00)
- Enroll on NRAInstructors.org
- Enroll and prepay at: https://lakotasafecompany.com/events/
- Student materials, refreshments and range fees are included
- Walk-ins will be accommodated